There’s nothing quite like watching your favorite movie or show while simultaneously enjoying a starry night sky. The best outdoor projectors make this luxury a reality.
These projectors feature exceptional visual quality, portability, streaming capabilities and more, turning any outdoor space into an open-air theater you’ll never want to leave.
Table of Contents
Don’t miss our list of the top outdoor projectors currently on the market to ensure you have the ultimate viewing experience from the comfort of your backyard at the best prices.
Top Outdoor Projectors
Whether you are looking for connectivity, affordability or impressive picture quality, there’s a projector that will meet your needs. Here are the best outdoor projectors to create some movie magic on the go.
1. Epson Home Cinema 2250
- Stunning picture quality — delivers an immersive viewing experience for TV shows, sporting events,...
- Smooth, crisp images — with Image Enhancement and Frame Interpolation
- Built-in Android TV (2) — latest Android TV interface with a simple-to-use remote – including voice...
The Epson Home Cinema 2250 is a high-quality projector that delivers an immersive viewing experience with content up to 4K. Some may even say it’s better than a smart TV.
You will get a full HD picture with image enhancement and frame interpolation. This creates crisp images and a dynamic contrast ratio of up to 70,000:1 that provides richness in even the darkest scenes.
Expect zero rainbowing from the 3LCD technology, an ultra-bright picture that features 2,700 lumens of color and white brightness plus clarity up to 200 inches. This projector is ideal for exceptional visuals.
Unfortunately, this outdoor projector is lacking in terms of portability. It’s not your typical portable outdoor projector, and it requires a solid mount to project the type of quality image you’d expect.
However, you won’t want to write it off because of this shortcoming. Thanks to its dynamic image quality, this is one of the best projectors to use outside when you don’t have complete darkness.
Vertical lens shift and lots of zoom mean you can configure the picture without moving it. It’s not as convenient as a short-throw projector if you want to move it around often, but it does the job.
The device is extremely compact. This makes it a little more portable, but it also means it’s more difficult to use the HDMI ports. Additional room would have been nice to fit a Roku or Amazon Firestick.
The built-in Android TV and Google Assistant make it easy to stream things like Hulu, HBO, Youtube, and more without having to buy or use an external device.
Setting this outdoor projector up is easy, and you can use it right out of the box with the built-in 10W speaker.
- Excellent picture quality
- Native streaming service
- Noisy fan, even on the least bright setting
2. Anker Nebula Solar Portable
- Cinematic Visuals: Experience up to 120 inches of awesome 1080p entertainment. With HDR10 and 400 ANSI...
- Unforgettable Audio: Hear every whisper, explosion, and song in incredible clarity with Dolby Digital...
- No Wires, No Limits: With Solar Portable 1080p projector’s built-in rechargeable battery, you can...
The Anker Nebula Solar Portable is a 1080p projector you can take anywhere. With projection that can be scaled down for an intimate movie for two or get ramped up to 120 inches, you won’t sacrifice what you see when it comes to outdoor viewing.
HDR10 and 400 ANSI lumens push the picture to the max, packing detail and color into every square inch. We loved the detailed contrast of the darker images but did notice the picture is best in dim to dark lighting as opposed to ambient light.
It’s easy to set up this outdoor projector so you can enjoy movie night. With the built-in stand, you can adjust the angle up to 13 degrees. No matter which angle you set it to, the Nebula’s quadrilateral keystoning makes sure your image is perfectly squared at any angle.
There’s also no need to play around with settings. The super-fast autofocus quickly sets your picture to exactly what you need.
Listen with precision clarity through the Dolby Digital Plus dual 3W built-in speakers. In fact, you can double the Nebula Solar Portable projector as a portable Bluetooth speaker because the audio quality is excellent.
With one of the best batteries of any unit on this list, the built-in rechargeable gets up to three hours on a single charge. This makes it one of our favorites for its true portability.
Native Android TV 9 means you can easily stream movies, YouTube, Hulu and more. Plus, the Google Assistant in the remote makes it quick and easy to navigate.
You can even use Chromecast, connect your MacBook or Windows PC and screencast or utilize screen mirroring from any Android or iOS device. If that’s not enough, you can use HDMI or USB devices as well to amp up your backyard movie nights.
- Excellent battery
- Sharp projected image
- Great sound system
- Truly portable
- Picture only reaches its full potential in the dark
3. Epson EF-12
- Stunning Picture Quality up to 150" — Delivers an immersive viewing experience for TV shows, sporting...
- Sound by Yamaha — Custom-designed audiophile speaker system offers a powerful and emotional performance...
- Built-In Android TV (1) — Latest Android TV interface with a simple-to-use remote – including voice...
Powered by Google with a sound system by Yamaha, the EF-12 by Epson is everything you need in a streamlined package for outdoor cinema.
You can project up to 150 inches without sacrificing quality, making it one of the best outdoor projectors for larger images. The EF-12 accepts content up to 4K for a full HD picture.
It uses multi-array laser diode technology to enhance both ends of the color spectrum. This provides exceptional brightness with enhanced black density.
The advanced scene adaptive color correction will automatically correct color to make the most natural-looking picture.
Additionally, the 3LCD chip displays 100% of the RGB color signal in every frame. There is beautiful coloring in all lighting conditions, including ambient light, with no rainbowing. Not even light pollution can ruin watching outdoor movies with this projector.
A custom-designed speaker system rivals the best soundbars, which is why this powerhouse outdoor projector made our list. There is no need to worry about poor sound quality or dragging speakers along with it.
Better yet, this projector can be used as a standalone Bluetooth speaker.
It’s easy to stream using the built-in Android TV and voice search with Google Assistant that is built into the remote. You can even stream live TV shows using YouTube TV.
- Great picture and sound
- Less heat and noise than bulb projectors
- Small, lightweight and portable
- No optical zoom or lens shift
4. Epson Home Cinema 880
- Stunning picture quality — provides stunning, detailed 1080p images and fast data processing that’s...
- Ultra bright images — 3,300 lumens of color and white brightness deliver outstanding-quality images in...
- Best-in-Class Color Brightness (1) — advanced 3LCD technology displays 100% of the RGB color signal for...
Another winner from Epson, the Home Cinema 880 is not typically designed for portability. However, it makes up for this with ease of use and knockout picture quality at its price point.
Detailed 1080p images and super-fast data processing are meant for gaming, sports and action-packed movies.
The 3LCD technology captures 100% of the RGB color signal, meaning no rainbows or brightness issues. A 16,000:1 contrast ratio ensures you never miss details in dark scenes.
3,300 lumens bring crisp pictures in almost any light, including ambient light, and maintains the clarity of the image up to 320 inches, which is an absolutely astounding size. If you need a big image, this is the outdoor projector for you.
The built-in picture skew sensor delivers automatic keystoning for a perfectly square image no matter where you’re projecting.
Setup is easy. Simply plug it in and hit play. You can start streaming within minutes and use the built-in speaker to watch from anywhere.
Use any digital HDMI connection, be it a cable or satellite box, Blu-ray player, gaming console or streaming device. The native Android streaming device has Bluetooth so you can watch content from streaming apps, including shows from leading digital publisher Netflix.
- Fast data processing
- Huge picture size
- Easy setup
- Noisy fan
5. Nebula Mars 2 Pro
- Brighter is Better: DLP IntelliBright technology projects a radiant 500-ANSI-lumen image at razor-sharp...
- Cinematic Sound: Dual 10W audio drivers work together to deliver sensational sound and deep, resonant...
- Expand Your Entertainment: Plug and play your favorite HDMI and USB 2.0 devices, including laptops,...
Nebula’s Mars 2 Pro doesn’t have quite the intensity as the other portable projectors in terms of picture. However, it does have 500 ANSI lumen images at 720p and packs quite a punch in a small package.
The keystoning is both vertical and horizontal, and the stability of the projection is impressive. We loved how simple it was to get a good picture. The autofocus and keystoning made it easy to just switch it on and start watching.
With the ability to project 40 inches all the way up to 100 inches, this portable outdoor projector can go anywhere you want to take it. Built-in dual 10W speakers mean that you don’t need to worry about bringing external speakers.
Additionally, three hours of battery life while projecting means you’re all set for an outdoor movie.
Android 7.1 hooks up your streaming needs easily. However, without the upgrade to Android 9, some of the apps are older or unavailable.
Fortunately, you can plug and play any HDMI or USB device, like gaming systems and laptops. You can also mirror content from your phone with Miracast if you need another option for watching movies.
- Portable and easy to take anywhere
- Great sound system
- Impressive autofocus
- Remote control
- Expensive compared to others like it
- No physical menu button
6. XGIMI Horizon Pro
- True 4K Technology: 3840 x 2160 Pixels Standard Resolution with 8.29 million pixels and ultra-bright 2200...
- Room-Filling Sound: Dual 8W built-in Harman Kardon speakers, DTS-HD & DTS Studio Sound, Dolby Digital...
- Intelligent Screen Adaption Technology: ±40 Degrees Auto Keystone Correction (Horizontal & Vertical),...
The Horizon Pro has incredible picture quality. True 4K technology, HDR10 and super bright 2,200 ANSI lumens make it clear enough to use at any time of the day.
Horizontal and vertical keystone correction plus auto-alignment and focus make it an impressive choice, especially when you’re moving it around.
What makes this one of the best options is not just the fact that this projection display ranges between 30 and 300 inches. Beyond that, the screen size adjusts automatically to fit your space.
This means you don’t have to move the portable projector around and figure out how to get the best picture. Auto-size, autofocus, auto-alignment and keystone correction do the work for you.
Did we mention the smart 3D compatibility? If you bring the glasses, this XGIMI will bring the fun.
The sound is phenomenal, filling the space with dual 8W built-in Harman Kardon speakers. It boasts DTS-HD, DTS Studio Sound and Dolby Digital compatibility.
Chromecast built-in, Android TV 10.0 and Google Assistant are all integrated. You can connect devices via two HDMI or USB ports, or you can use Bluetooth to watch shows from streaming apps. No matter how you want to stream, there’s a place to connect.
- Clear picture in any light
- Advanced picture control
- 3D compatible
- Does not play Netflix native app
7. Epson Home Cinema 2045
- Bright ideal for a variety of lighting conditions, the projector has 2,500 lumens of equal color and...
- Widescreen Full HD 1080p entertainment up to 11 feet (132 inches diagonal) or more over 4x larger than a...
- Amazing dynamic contrast ratio: up to 60,000:1 for even richer detail in dark scenes and enhanced...
The Home Cinema 2150 projects up to 11 feet at full HD 1080p. Widescreen options project onto any wall or screen.
2,500 lumens of both color and white brightness plus a 60,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio mean that the picture hits the highs, the lows, and everything in between during outdoor use.
Where the picture really nails it is with its 3LCD technology and frame interpolation. This image enhancement means there’s zero motion blur, showing amazing action scenes with no rainbowing.
The built-in speakers mean that this is a good outdoor projector to enjoy right out of the box.
Connect with two HDMI ports using an HDMI cable and MHL, or you can wirelessly stream via Miracast and Intel WiDi. Hook up your Blu-ray player, gaming console, streaming device, tablet, or smartphone.
- Lots of ways to connect
- Excellent image enhancement
- Loud fan
8. ViewSonic M1+
- PORTABLE PROJECTOR: Ultra-portable WVGA (854x480p) LED projector with shorter throw lens
- EASY SETUP: Get set up in seconds with auto-focus, vertical keystone correction and 360 degree projection
- PREMIUM AUDIO: Built-in dual Harman Kardon Bluetooth speakers (audio only)
Viewsonic’s M1+ is a snappy little portable WVGA LED projector that is great if you’re looking for a cross between quality and budget.
Auto keystoning corrects the image at any angle and projects up to 100 inches. With over 30,000 hours of operational life, it is perfect for a backyard viewing or inside a trailer.
Innovative eye care technology has virtually eliminated blue light, and reflective light technology helps reduce eye strain.
The M1+ has a lightweight and compact design. It weighs less than two pounds, making it perfect for moving from room to room or inside and outside.
The smart stand provides a 360-degree setup and doubles as a lens cover. As soon as the lens is uncovered, it automatically powers on and auto-adjusts the picture. It’s ready to play as soon as you set it up.
Enjoy quality sound on the built-in dual Harman Kardon Bluetooth speakers, proving ViewSonic missed nothing when designing the M1+ for true portability.
Using Aptoide UI, you can download and watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube or live stream sporting events by adding the dongle.
The M1+ supports iOS, TV, Windows, Chrome and macOS along with gaming consoles like the Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox with wifi, HDMI and USB-C connections. This wireless connectivity is great for outdoor use.
The built-in battery can theoretically last up to six hours on full power mode, making it a contender for the best outdoor projector for those who need a longer battery life.
However, we noticed a more realistic three hours of battery power, which is still plenty of time for your backyard movie.
- Truly portable
- Great sound system
- Lots of connectivity options
- Watch Android TV, Apple TV and more
- Lower picture quality than some of the other projectors
9. Nebula Capsule
- Remarkable Clarity and Contrast: DLP's advanced IntelliBright algorithms deliver a remarkably bright 100...
- 360° Speaker: Equipped with a powerful omnidirectional speaker, this mini projector pumps out sound all...
- Home Entertainment: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, and more up to 100 inches big anywhere in your...
Without a doubt, the most fun option on this list is the Nebula Capsule. This device can project up to 100 inches literally anywhere thanks to its “soda can-sized” design.
This mini projector has incredible clarity and contrast, though it’s best in dimmer spaces. Still, DLP’s advanced IntelliBright algorithm brings a bright 100 ANSI lumen image to whatever surface you’re projecting on.
The can design of the Nebula projector continues to impress with a 360-degree omnidirectional speaker, pushing the sound in all directions. This makes it easy to place the outdoor projector either in front of or behind you and still hear clear sound.
Native Android 7.1 lets you run Netflix, Youtube and more, plus the HDMI and USB port options allow you to plug and play an array of devices. You can even go wireless and stream via Airplay, Miracast or Bluetooth.
We love the fact that you don’t have to keep track of a remote control either. Simply control it from your phone with the Nebula Connect app.
This portable projector lasts for hours on the battery alone, so it could be the best outdoor projector for you if you want to watch a movie or catching up on your favorite show.
- Lightweight and portable
- Great battery life, can be charged while projecting
- Super easy to use
- Watch Android TV and more
- Needs darkness for clarity
10. XGIMI Halo+
- 1080P Super-Bright Image: 1920×1080 FHD picture complimented with LED-powered hyper-focused 900 ANSI...
- Fully Portable: Equipped with a 59.454Wh built-in battery and minimalist design, providing 2.5hrs of...
- Intelligent Screen Adaption: Our industry-leading Intelligent Screen Adaption(ISA) technology simplifies...
This is another great option from XGIMI is the MHalo+. It’s small but powerful.
It has a 2.5 battery life, perfect for any projector-on-the-go needs. Full native 1080p HD with new DLP technology and 900 ANSI lumens show super clear pictures for its size.
Auto keystone and autofocus make up the exclusive eagle-eye perception system, which continuously and seamlessly corrects the image for a smooth viewing experience.
The speakers give a balanced sound, which is perfect for smaller and medium-sized spaces.
Set up is easy out of the box, and the built-in battery gives long life for portable use. It weighs less than seven pounds and is about the size of a water bottle, making it smaller than most outdoor projectors.
- Truly wireless
- Very portable
- Only works at its best in dark rooms/areas
- Short battery life
The best outdoor projectors listed here bring a mix of high-quality visuals, great sound, portability and connectivity.
As you consider which option to purchase, evaluate your must-have features. Is exceptional image quality during outdoor use key? How about sound? Do you have a particular price point in mind?
No matter which one of these outdoor projectors you choose, you can be sure you’re going to make lasting memories at your backyard movie night.