There are many reasons to consider buying home safes. It can add another level of security to your home to protect your valuables.
In the unfortunate event that someone breaks into your home, having a safe in your home could be the difference in keeping important documents, jewelry, and money out of the hands of home invaders.
Not all home safes are created equal or offer the same features. Some safes are more compact or portable. Others allow you to store extra-large items.
Other safes protect valuables against fire or water. Storage capacity varies between home safes. So do lock types, with combination locks, keypads, and even fingerprint technology available.
Table of Contents
- Top Home Safes
- 1. Tigerking BGX-5/D1-48YZ Safe Box
- 2. AmazonBasics Security Safe Box
- 3. Tigerking Fireproof Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
- 4. Viking VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe
- 5. Stalwart Digital Safe
- 6. First Alert 2087F Fire-Resistant Bolt-Down Combination Safe
- 7. AdirOffice Security Safe with Digital Lock
- 8. SentrySafe CHW20221 Fireproof Box
- 9. SentrySafe EF4738E Fireproof Waterproof Safe
- 10. AmazonBasics Book Safe
- Factors to Consider when Buying a Home Safe
Top Home Safes
No matter your security needs, the following list of the best home safes on the market of has you covered.
1. Tigerking BGX-5/D1-48YZ Safe Box
- 【Sturdy & Safe】:Tigerking high security digital safe is made of highly durable thick steel plate for...
- 【Product Dimensions】:The Exterior Dimensions of the safe: (D)14.2X (W)16.5 X (H)25.6 in, the inner...
- 【Safe for Home, Hotel, Office】:The safe with an extremely high level of anti-theft function, the...
The Tigerking BGX-5/D1-48YZ Safe Box tops the list because it checks all the security boxes while offering a level of style not seen with most home safes.
It features options for password and key settings for double protection. You can either set it with the master key and passcode or the master key and an emergency backup key.
If that’s not enough, it has another interior locking box, in case you’re sharing the safe with others.
Other notable features include a dual warning alarm system and two pre-drilled holes in the back with two expansion bolts.
Best feature: Dual security settings
Size: 3.47 Cubic Feet
Weight: 70.5 pounds
- Door and bolts solid steel
- Dual-locked security features
- Larger than expected compartment
- Easy to set up
- Not full enclosed steel
2. AmazonBasics Security Safe Box
- 0.5-cubic-feet security safe with electronic lock and 3 operation indicator lights; powered by (4) AA...
- Includes 2 emergency override keys to protect against forgotten passcodes or dead batteries; keep keys in...
- Strong steel construction with carpeted floor to protect against scratches and damage; pry-resistant...
For a simple, compact safe for home use, check out the AmazonBasics Security Safe Box. With its steel, pry-resistant hinge bar construction and carpeted floor, your small valuables are protected from theft and damage.
It features reprogrammable digital access using an electronic keypad, but also can be opened with an override backup in case you forget your passcode.
This safe box from Amazon also comes with two live door bolts and mounting hardware to easily bolt it to a floor or install it as a wall safe.
Best feature: Override keys
Size: 0.5 Cubic Feet
Weight: 16.5 pounds
- Sleek design
- Easy to set up and program
- Pre-drilled holes for securing
- Smaller model compact
3. Tigerking Fireproof Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
- Tigerking Home Safebox: External dimensions of 16.53X13.77X17.7inch and internal dimensions of...
- Tigerking safe box includes 2 solid live lock bolts and hinges, effectively preventing drilling and...
- This home safe has 3 unlocking methods: biometric fingerprint, password and emergency key - allowing you...
This Tigerking safe features biometric technology, giving people three options to open the safe: fingerprint, passcode, or key. It features an open interior, which allows you to store taller items with ease.
This home safe is made with double-thickness tempered steel casing and contains two active locking pins for added home security.
This safe is fireproof so it does not have pre-drilled holes for mounting.
Best feature: Smart fingerprint biometric recognition system
Size: 17.7D x 13.77W x 16.53H inches
Weight: 80 pounds
- Fast and accurate finger reader
- Easy to bolt down
- Quick set up
- Finger recognition fluctuates
4. Viking VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe
- 🌟 HIGHLY SECURE 20" x 14" x 12" BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE - Unlocks Fast by Registered...
- 🌟 FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENSE AND PROTECTION " Upgraded 500 DPI Optical...
- 🌟 EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People or 1 PIN...
For a large, heavy-duty safe, one of the best bets is the VS-50BLX from Viking Security Safe.
It stands 20 inches tall and features two 20 mm solid steel locking bars for added home security. The product was designed to be a gun safe.
Equipped with biometric reader technology, You can lock it with your fingerprint or pin code.
The interior has a built-in LED light, key hooks, and adjustable shelves. It comes with four pre-drilled holes with anchor bolts for mounting.
When it comes to the Viking Security Safe vs. other products on the market, Viking is definitely worth considering.
Best feature: Designed as a gun safe
Size: 14 x 12 x 20 inches
Weight: 43 pounds
- Heavy duty
- Uses biometric, keypad, and keys
- LED lights
- Multiple adjustable lights
- Keys may get stuck
- Light battery wears out
5. Stalwart Digital Safe
- PORTABLE SAFE BOX - This digital cash box can conveniently be utilized in your home, office, or business...
- SMART STORAGE - Securely store your cash, jewelry, documents, passports, heirlooms, and more in this...
- STRONG DESIGN - The small safe is protected with a LED keypad you can program with master and guest codes...
The Stalwart Digital Safe is a multipurpose security solution that can store valuables, documents, and more. It mounts on the wall or floor but is also light enough to take with you when needed.
This safe has an LED keypad and is unlocked with either a passcode or a manual override key.
As an extra security measure, this Stalwart safe automatically locks and sounds an alarm after repeated incorrect passcode entries.
Best feature: Automatic lock
Size: 12.2 x 7.9 x 7.9 inches
Weight: 11.68 pounds
- Two codes and two keys
- Needs high-quality batteries
6. First Alert 2087F Fire-Resistant Bolt-Down Combination Safe
- .94 Cu Ft Capacity
- Double Construction
- 4 Number Combination Lock With 1 Emergency Override Key
First Alert’s 2087F safe is perfect for people looking for the best home safe that protects your valuables against all threats. It’s resistant to fire or water, even when bolted down.
However, it’s not fireproof or waterproof.
That said, the safe can withstand temperatures of more than the standard 1,550 degrees Fahrenheit (it claims up to 1,700).
Plus, it keeps everything dry during flooding.
Other features included with the First Alert safe are an internal shelf, key rack, and door pocket. The safe comes with a settable combination lock instead of an electronic keypad.
It also comes with two override keys as a precaution.
Best feature: Waterproof & fire resistance
Size: 0.94 cu ft
Weight: 79.2 pounds
- Fire or water resistant
- Mechanical combo lock type
- Combination code preset
7. AdirOffice Security Safe with Digital Lock
- DURABLE AND STURDY SAFE. Made utilizing steel construction to provide long-lasting strength and use...
- PROGRAMMABLE DIGITAL ACCESS. Using the keypad, you can create your own numeric code for easy entry and...
- HIGH-QUALITY SECURITY. In addition to the electronic lock, the security safe features two live-door...
Best feature: Color options
Size: 2.32 Cubic Feet
Weight: 39 pounds
Are you looking for the best home safe with a little more style? This security safe from AdirOffice offers functional security, but in styles than available with most safes. Color options include black, red, white, and blue.
The safe features a digital keypad and comes with two override keys, as well. Also, it has two live-door bolts and pry-resistant construction. This might be an issue if you want an option with four live-locking bolts.
There are four bolts included for mounting the safe to the floor or installing it as a wall safe.
Best feature: Color options
Size: 2.32 Cubic Feet
Weight: 39 pounds
- Easy to set up
- Multiple color options
- Roomy cabinet size
- Key over-ride function
- Not enclosed steel
- Plastic components
8. SentrySafe CHW20221 Fireproof Box
- Fireproof box is UL Classified to endure 1/2 hour at 1550°F to protect irreplaceable documents, small...
- Waterproof box is ETL Verified for 72 hours of water submersion offering peace of mind in the event of a...
- Fireproof lock box features a tubular key lock for added security and to prevent the lid from opening in...
SentrySafe has you covered if you need a portable security solution. This fireproof safe is also waterproof and features a tubular key lock.
You can store documents using the safe’s built-in straps. It also has a carrying handle so you can quickly grab it and go when needed.
While it’s not the biggest safe, it’s not meant to be. It’s also designed to hold digital files that need protection from high temperatures.
Best feature: Portability
Size: 0.28 Cubic Feet
Weight: 20.4 pounds
- Fire and water resistant
- Great for important documents
- Key only lock type
- Shoe box size
9. SentrySafe EF4738E Fireproof Waterproof Safe
- Fireproof safe is ETL Verified to endure 1/2 hour at 1400°F to protect irreplaceable documents and...
- Waterproof safe is ETL Verified for 72 hours of protection in water up to 12 inches deep offering peace...
- Set your own combination; seven bolts, solid steel construction, bolt down hardware; California DOJ...
This list isn’t complete without an extra-large home safe, and this one from SentrySafe fits that bill. It features a digital keypad for setting passcodes.
This huge safe is also fire resistant up to 1400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. It also is waterproof in 12-inch water for up to 72 hours.
For extra protection, the safe’s steel construction features five live-locking bolts and four deadbolts.
If you’re in the market for the best home safe that fits just about anything, look no further than the SentrySafe EF4738E safe.
Best feature: Extra large size
Size: 3.39 cu ft
Weight: 163 pounds
- Fire and water resistant
- Can mount/bolt to floor
- Carpet inside
- Heavy to move
- Can have high humidity if not aired out frequently
10. AmazonBasics Book Safe
- Portable lock box that looks like a book, great for hiding small valuables on a bookshelf
- Fabric cover and spine designed to look like a book; does not contain paper pages; recommended to store...
- Front cover lifts to reveal safe’s actual cover; key lock designed to deter theft; 2 keys included
You may feel like a spy using the AmazonBasics Book Safe. Although it’s probably not quite as secure as some other safe options on this list, it’s also easier to hide in plain sight.
It’s perfect for storing small valuables on a bookshelf.
The Book Safe features a fabric book cover and spine. It looks like a real book from the outside. Lifting the front cover reveals the safe’s real cover, which features key lock security.
Best feature: Blends in with home furnishings
Size: 9.4 x 2.2 x 6.1 inches
Weight: 1.76 pounds
- Looks like a book
- Limited space
Factors to Consider when Buying a Home Safe
Not all of the best home safes are built the same or offer the same features. The right safe for you will depend on your specific security needs.
Here are some factors to consider when picking out a home safe to keep your valuables secure.
Safes these days offer a variety of locking styles. Some still operate with a simple combination lock tyle. Most safes have a backup key or general key you can use to lock it.
Many safe companies have moved to newer technologies like digital keypads, biometric fingerprint scanning, or a combination of different locking styles.
There’s no right or wrong option, but make sure it has a backup key or other option in case the batteries die, or you forget your passcode.
As you can see from our list above, safes come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Think about where you plan to keep your safe, whether it needs to be portable, if you plan to mount it or not, and its storage capacity. Weights also vary, so make sure to keep that in mind when choosing your home safe.
The main reason to get a home safe is for protection, whether it’s from the threat of theft or to keep kids out. Some safes offer multiple levels of security, while others are more basic.
If you want to protect important documents or valuables from the elements, opt for a home safe that’s both fireproof and waterproof to keep your valuables safe.
Having a waterproof and fireproof safe can be a must-have for some people.
Other safes offer extra protection through live-locking bars, pry-resistant frames and hinges, and other safety features.
Cost is another factor that goes into picking the right home safe. It’s hard to put a price tag on security and peace of mind. Home safes vary in price considerably.
If you are looking for the best budget safe, make sure it has the features you need.
Compare prices and features on safes and come up with the best budget option that makes sense for you. If your security needs aren’t too extensive, you can find a home safe at a reasonable price.
Investing in a home safe can protect your documents, jewelry, money, keys, and other valuables from theft and other threats. Consider buying a home safe today.