We love our pets. Often, pets are more like family members. You care for them like you would your own kids. We just adopted a rescue dog two weeks ago and it’s hard to remember a time they weren’t around. It’s so easy to get attached to their infectious personalities.
Sometimes pets even travel with you. But how do you feed them if you are gone all day at work? What if you could check in with them during the day or even talk to them?
You can do just that with the use of smart pet feeders. Feeders have been around a while, but new technologies have improved functionality.
Now there are many options with smart pet feeders. Do you need one for multiple pets? What about the ability to watch video footage of your dog?
Perhaps your pet is on a strict diet and needs their portions controlled. These smart feeders seem capable of almost any task you can think up.
Table of Contents
- Top Smart Pet Feeders
- 1. PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
- 2. Furbo Treat-Tossing Dog Camera
- 3. SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
- 4. Petcube Bites Pet Camera
- 5. Arf Pets Automatic Feeder
- 6. PetKit Automatic Cat Feeder
- 7. Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder
- 8. Petzi Treat Cam
- 9. Wagz Smart Dog Feeder
- 10. Petnet Smart Feeder (2nd Gen)
- How do smart pet feeders work?
- Why you should use a smart pet feeder
- Things to consider when choosing a smart pet feeder?
Top Smart Pet Feeders
Here are the top smart pet feeders on the market today.
1. PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
- 2020 PET INNOVATION AWARD WINNER - Received the award for “Electronic Feeders/Waterers Product of the...
- ASK ALEXA TO FEED YOUR PET A SNACK: Ask your Amazon Echo device to feed your pet a snack hands-free, from...
Whether you need to feed a cat or a dog, you will love this smart feeder from PetSafe. Meals can be scheduled through the smart feed app on your iOS or Android smartphone.
There’s also a slow feed option so your pet doesn’t eat too fast. Portion out your pet’s food from ⅛ cup to 4 cups to fit their needs. The feeder works with dry and semi-moist food
- Battery backup: There’s an optional battery backup available. Your pet will get fed even if the WiFi signal in your house drops.
- Optional Feedings: Add extra feedings at any time outside of your scheduled feedings.
- Pet-proof design: Your pets can’t sneak into the smart feeder for extra food.
- Food tracking: Unfortunately, it doesn’t tell you how much food is left in the feeder.
- Wifi connectivity: The feeder has difficulties reconnecting when a WiFi signal is lost.
2. Furbo Treat-Tossing Dog Camera
- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: livestream video to monitor your pet on your phone with a 160-degree...
- 2-Way Audio & BARKING ALERT: Furbo’s BARKING SENSOR detects when your dog is barking. It sends push...
If you’re looking for a fun way to spoil your dog during the day, check out the Treat-Tossing Dog Camera from Furbo. It’s so easy to set up and use.
Just plug it into a power outlet, download the Fubo app, and connect to your WiFi network. Fill it up with treats and start using it immediately.
You can toss treats through the app from anywhere. Make a game out of it with your dog to get them exercise while you’re away from home.
Furbo’s feeder has 720p HD video monitoring with night vision capabilities. You can store video footage of your dog for later viewing and sharing.
There’s also an option to receive bark alerts, which allow you to communicate with your dog to calm them down if needed. It’s visually appealing with a nice bamboo wood cover.
- Quality: It has a simple, intelligent design with 720p HD monitoring.
- Bark recognition: Know when your pet is distressed no matter where you are. Communicate with your dog through the app to calm them.
- Noisy: It makes noise anytime it throws treats, which can startle or scare your dog.
- Price: This feeder is rather expensive compared to other treat-throwing smart feeders on the market.
3. SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
- Key Benefits: Prevents food stealing and stress at mealtimes in multi-pet homes, keeps your pets...
- Great for Pets on Prescription Diets: Holds 13.5 fl. oz, wet or dry pet food. The lid closes to form a...
One of the most unique smart pet feeders on the market is the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder. Yes, it uses your pet’s microchip (or RFID collar tag) to control feeding. If you have multiple cats or dogs, this will keep them from stealing each other’s food.
The feeder can be programmed for up to 32 pets (that’s a lot of cats) keep them from stealing each other’s food. The feeder only opens up with a registered microchip or tag and closes when they finish eating.
The SureFeed Pet Feeder can be used with both wet and dry food. With minimum air exposure, pet food doesn’t dry out and stays fresh longer. The split bowl design allows you to have wet and dry food at the same time.
- Multiple pets: It’s a perfect feeder for homes with multiple pets. It prevents the stealing of food with its intelligent design.
- Labor intensive: If you use wet food, you’ll need to clean out the feeder daily and add new food. The bowls aren’t dishwasher safe either so you’ll have to wash everything by hand.
- Battery operated: As technologically advanced as this feeder is, it requires four C batteries (not included).
- Learning curve: It will take a while to get familiar with all of the unique features because its so different from other smart pet feeders.
4. Petcube Bites Pet Camera
- 🎥 Ultimate pet monitoring – With Petcube Bites Wi-Fi pet camera, watch your pet with 1080p full HD...
- 🚀Quick 2-minute setup – Petcube Bites 2 is the only pet camera to support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi...
Another great treat dispensing smart feeder is from Petcube. The video camera is HD and has a wide viewing angle. This is perfect if you have a large home and want to see everything.
There’s even has a night vision feature. It stores up to 2 pounds of treats, which is a lot.
Another great feature is the ability to fling treats varying distances. This allows for a playful environment for your pet and some needed activity to keep them moving.
If you want a quality camera that feels like you are home with your pets, this is the smart feeder for you.
- Audio: Two-way audio to communicate with your pet
- Treat dispensing: Flings treats with varying distances
- Cloud capability: View the last 4 hours of video of your pet via the Cloud.
- Alexa: The Petcube Bites Pet Camera is compatible with Alexa.
- Limited use: Use of the feeder is only accessible through thePetcube app and Alexa.
- Treat flinging: Some pets do ok with this, but other pets may be scared when treats are launched. Cats are less inclined to enjoy this feature.
- Treats size: Odd-shaped treats may get stuck in the feeder, which can’t be fixed until you are home. You’re limited to certain types of treats because of this.
5. Arf Pets Automatic Feeder
- Automatic Food Dispenser Makes Feeding Hassle Free for Pets’ Dietary Health & Wellbeing
- Dispense from 1-10 Portions Per Meal, Each Portion is 24ml, Set Up to 4 Daily Distribution Alarms; Simply...
Another solid option, the Arf Pets Automatic Feeder can be programmed for up to 4 meals per day. Pet owners can set up a feeding schedule with specific portion sizes to control feeding better.
This helps with pets on strict diets. is a solid choice because you can use it moderates the amount of food that it dispatches to your pets.
You can run this smart feeder on batteries or just plug it into an outlet. It’s easy to clean with a detachable, dishwasher safe food dispenser. You can also record voice messages you can play at mealtimes.
- Schedule: This is a perfect choice for health-conscious pet owners as it allows pets to stay on their diets when you are away.
- Feeding size: It can dispense between 1 and 10 portions each meal.
- Smart design: It has a Magnetic lock lid to keep pets out and food fresh.
- Light up LCD clock: I’m not sure why you would need a clock on a feeder being used while you aren’t home
- Inconsistency: Reviews show that serving sizes can be inconsistent.
6. PetKit Automatic Cat Feeder
- Feed from your phone,your cat will not meow at 3am anymore (2.4GHz WIFI, pls.)
- Personalized Pet Feeding: Meals can be dispensed from 5g to 50g.Set meal plan, feed anytime
Want a feeder that can handle large amounts of food? The PetKit Automatic Cat Feeder holds up to 10 portions of dry cat food. Plus the intelligent design ensures food stays fresh and doesn’t clog the feeder.
You set up and control the feeder through your smartphone and their mobile app. The Automatic Feeder has 3 feeding modes. You can preset a customized feeding plan on your phone.
Pet owners can also add extra feedings to their regular schedule at any time. There’s also a manual feeder button on the device to add an extra feeding in person too.
Another interesting feature is its sensor technology. This ensures that food is released properly. There’s also a sensor that will keep your pet from getting a paw stuck in the feeder.
The PetKit Automatic also senses the weight of the food in the feeder and will alert you when it is low.
- Anti-clogging design: No worries about food jamming in this smart feeder thanks to their unique design and technology.
- Food Capacity: Store up to 10 food portions at a time to cut down on refills.
- Complicated setup: As pet-friendly as this feeder is, it takes some time to configure and work out any bugs.
7. Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder
- Automatic Food Dispenser: Cat and dog gravity feeder dispenses dry food as pets eat, prolonging refill...
- Multi-Pet Households: The pet food dispenser has a 6 lbs. capacity to accommodate multi-pet households &...
Just because a pet feeder may not have motors, sensors, buttons and Alexa integration, doesn’t mean it isn’t smart! Take the Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder for instance.
If you’re looking for a low-tech way to intelligently dispense food for your lovable furball, this is probably the option for you. Available in sizes ranging from 3-12lbs of pet feed storage, this feeder can accommodate pets of all sizes.
The feeder is oriented to allow the stored food to gradually fill the bowl as it empties. This allows pets to access food any time of the day or night, which is great for those pet owners who work longer hours.
Refills are also a breeze, with a convenient snap-on lid that makes refilling food both easy and secure.
- 24-7 Access: Your pets will have access to food when and how they need it without your intervention.
- Multi-Pet Households: With capacities up to 12 lbs., this pet feeder works for large breeds or households with multiple pets.
- No Bells and Whistles: The product does what it says and nothing else, don’t expect a webcam or Alexa integration.
- Portion Control: If you’ve got a pet that will eat themselves sick, given the opportunity, this may not be the feeder for you, as there is nothing that prevents your pet from eating until the feeder is empty.
8. Petzi Treat Cam
- A fun and easy way to connect with and treat your pet from anywhere
- Watch the excitement on your pet’s face when you pop in
One of the higher-rated feeders on Amazon, the Petzi Treat Cam helps you connect with your pets while away. This is not a smart feeder for meals, but for dispensing treats to your pets throughout the day.
Using your smartphone and their app, you can see your pet and talk to them. You can also snap photos of your pet through the Treat Cam. The video quality is spot on with this smart feeder.
There’s also a social media network called Petzi for users to share images of their pets. I’m not sure that will take off, but it’s a good marketing tool.
- Photos: Everyone loves taking photos of their dogs and cats
- Customer support: Petzi offers fast and reliable support for its products.
- Multifunctional: You could also use the Treat Cam as a home security camera.
- Treats: You are limited to using only small, round treats in this smart feeder. Other treats tend to get stuck.
- Audio: Unfortunately, the audio is only one way. You can talk to your pet, but you can’t hear them.
9. Wagz Smart Dog Feeder
- Free 90-day Wagz plus subscription. The plus Plan adds VIDEO updates and lets you live stream with your...
- Ditch the scoop - set feeding schedules from your smartphone and automatically feed your dog anywhere,...
If you have larger dogs, Wagz Smart Dog Feeder may be the perfect fit. It has a large capacity to hold plenty of food for large dogs or multiple dogs.
You can feed your dog from anywhere through your smartphone and the Wagz app. There’s also audio capabilities that allow you to talk to your dog.
Through the mobile app, you can control portion sizes based on details of your dog, like height, weight, and age. There’s also an option to place automatic food orders through Amazon dash when the feeder runs low. You must sign up for the service to take advantage of this program.
There is also an app you can download on your smartphone for free which will allow you to schedule feeds at any time, anywhere. That is great for all of the pet owners who work a lot, but still, don’t want to neglect their pets.
This feeder has a built-in HD camera you can use to see your dog and what they are doing. There is a built-in audio system as well that allows you to talk to your pet.
- Easy to clean: The feeder comes with a removable, dishwasher safe bowl.
- Camera quality: Watch video of your pet in HD with the built-in video camera.
- User-friendly: This is one of the easiest smart pet feeders to set up and use.
- No cats allowed: designed with dog food in mind. It doesn’t work well with dry cat food, unfortunately.
- Poor quality: It’s not as durable as many other smart pet feeders. Not so durable.
10. Petnet Smart Feeder (2nd Gen)
Take the guesswork out of feeding your pets with the Petnet Smart Feeder. Receive recommended feeding suggestions for your pets based on their breed, age, weight, and activity level.
- Notifications: Get alerts when your pet has been fed as well as if there were any issues during a feeding. You’ll even get a notification when it’s time to clean the pet feeder.
- Portion control: Take control of your pet’s health with specially designed portion sizes determined through the app.
- Multiple pets: The mobile app is designed to support only one pet at a time.
- Cleanliness: The smart feeder is hard to fully clean.
How do smart pet feeders work?
Pet feeders are designed to allow you to control your pet’s feeding times electronically. They provide relief for pets left for long hours as well as their owners.
Some smart feeders are more complex than others. Pets need attention, love, and care. It’s good to know there are products available to bridge the gap when you can’t be home during the day.
Why you should use a smart pet feeder
Smart pet feeders solve a problem. How do we care for our pets when we can’t be home all day? What if we get stuck late at work? Or go on an overnight business trip? Smart pet feeders can keep your pets on schedule whether you are physically there or not.
Using a smart pet feeder also allows you to control how much food your pet eats. If your dog tends to eat all of the food in his bowl right away, how does he get fed again later in the day?
Using a smart feeder can help provide some portion control with your pet’s diet.
Things to consider when choosing a smart pet feeder?
Not all smart pet feeders are created the same or equal. Do your homework before investing in a feeder. You’ll need to factor in details like:
- The size of your pet
- How many pets do you have?
- Meal frequency
- The type of food your pets eat
- The cost of the smart pet feeder
- Ease of use
Choosing a smart pet feeder can be a challenge with so many on the market. Figure out what features are most important to you to help narrow down your search. To help, we’ve created a guide to the 10 best smart pet feeders on the market.
What smart pet option seems right for you? Which one will your pet love? Which one will help control their diet best or help you connect during long workdays?
The options listed above are all great choices for most pet owners. It’s best to prioritize your pet’s needs and decide which feeder makes the most sense.
Your pets will benefit from the extra love and attention they receive even if you can’t be home with them all day.
Bio: Kevin Payne is a freelance writer. He’s loves searching for the latest home and travel-related tech gadgets. Kevin lives in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and four kids.